VINE LEAVES SARMA

I have to admit that this is one of my favorite dishes. I usually keep vine leaves in my freezer during the year, so I prepare sarma whenever I want to. We have our own grape which is unsprayed and I usually pick the leaves before summer when leaves are still young.

This dish is easy to made, it takes about 30 minutes to prepare and about 45 minutes to cook.

Ingredients:
  • 50-60 vine leaves
  • 500 g minced meat
  • 150 g rice
  • 1 tbs vegetable seasoning (Vegeta)
  • 1 tbs red paprika
  • pinch of salt
  • parsley
  • oregano
Preparation:
  1.  If leaves are fresh and young, they are ready for use. Just wash them. If you keep leaves in the freeze (like I do), then just put them in some water to unfreeze and to soften. 
  2. Then fry meat in a frying pan with some olive oil, fry until it changes colour. Add rice, spices, red paprika, salt, parsley and oregano in the end and mix well.
  3. Put 1 tbs of the meat mixture in the middle of each leaf and wrap them. Wrap them so that you first fold one side over, then the other side, then roll. Put them in a pot with a lid and add water to cover them. 



  4. Cook covered for about 45 minutes. 
  5. In the ends, you can prepare a mix of 1/2 a cup of water, 5 tsp of tomato sauce and 1 tbs of flour and add it for better taste and for extra sauce. Leave to cook for another 5 min.
Serve with fermented milk on top.

Enjoy!